Wednesday, August 17, 2005

August 17th...sorting out and finishing up...


As you know if you've been following this blog, we're trying to prevent mold and mildew from building up inside the gau. A gasket or caulk is one step, but the next involved placing desiccant in there to absorb the inevitable moisture resulting from our lovely Maryland climate (wicked humid.

Interestingly, my research on the internet led me to a site about building a nuclear bomb shelter. They use silica gel (the most common desiccant) to keep their stored food from spoiling. It was at this resourceful site that I learned that this product can be found most inexpensively at walmart (or in my case, a craft store), where ever they sell dried flowers! It's the same stuff, only lots cheaper than if you buy from an industrial supply company...and for those of us who have not yet perfected patience, it offers the added benefit of instant gratification...we have it! For the sake of those who may go seeking this after me (it has a working life of 50 days, so it's going to keep us honest about maintaining the Stupa!), I took a photo of the isle at Michael's where I found it. It's in the dried flower section...Funny how a site for a nuclear bomb shelter leads you to an isle lined with flowers...Posted by Picasa

No comments: