Wednesday, April 27, 2005

April 27th, A Peek Inside...

Well, Norbu remembered his camera today---but he's moving so his computer is still in a box, so we'll post his photos later. : )

He reports that the day went really well, with Charlie joining the crew for the first time. Norbu said Charlie did a great job managing the sandpot, while Pete took a successful turn actually handling the hose! Maybe Norbu won't have to be the hose man all the time after all. : ) Pete expressed to me it was gratifying to actually see some result from his efforts, after struggling last weekend.

Tomorrow I'll be back out to help, and get some updated photos. We're thinking of towing the sandblasting equipment back to the Stupa Park (remember our unresolved ordeal...the Long Life Stupa Base? We do...). I'm concerned about Norbu's truck, that road is rutty to say the least, and this equipment is hefty. We'll see...

Given I don't have photos from today, I decided to dig out some digitals from the construction of the Stupa in Arizona. The purpose is twofold. First, it will give you all a chance to catch a glimpse of what goes INSIDE a Stupa. When Mom was out yesterday she asked me that, what's in there? I share this thanks to Ani Aileen residing in Arizona, who is our amazing archivist, preserving all the media we dump on her in an organized, retrievable way. She gave me a disc with photos (knowing my obsession with Stupas). All our Stupas were built with the same devotion. Each was constructed under the guidance of a qualified Lama, according to instructions recorded in sutras spoken by Shakyamuni himself. They are all the real thing! So though these photos are of the most recent construction, they do reflect how the ones we are working to restore here in Maryland were built. I'm just giving you a glimpse here, the architecture of a Stupa contains the entire path, from the first vows of conduct all the way to the highest realizations, all in a form that a worm can receive blessings from without even knowing what it is.

I was in Sedona for a short time during the construction, had to be part of it, even if only for a week or so. Oddly, (this is the second reason I'm sharing), it was almost a year ago to the day that we started the project here. While in Arizona, seeing what was being done by ordinary folks, all setting aside their worldly concerns to devote themselves completely to something so profound, I was so moved I couldn't stop making wishing prayers that I too might find a way to devote myself to such miraculous activity. A year later, almost to the day, the Stupa Project here was started, and I found myself surrounded by ordinary folks, setting aside their lives to devote themselves to something as profound. It would be impossible to express the joy, the gratitude of this opportunity. In a short commentary by Tulku Sang Ngag Rinoche he mentions that one thing that is special about Stupas is that it is hard to feel possessive of them, they are here open to all, to everyone, every being, no restrictions. To have a chance to help keep such a limitless source of blessings in the world...I can think of no greater use of this impermanent existence...

No comments: